Friday, February 6, 2009

Birthday Memories

Today is Matthew and Gracie's 5th Birthday and a day for celebration. I can't believe how fast the time has gone. When I think back to day and I found out I was pregnant, and the moment my life changed forever, I remember how excited Mark and I were and how blessed we felt. Then we found out (at nine weeks) it was twins and I knew at that moment that the Lord had given me my first miracle. I had a very uneventful pregnancy until my 35th week, due to high blood pressure, I was put on bed rest. It last 1 day (that's right ONE day) and I spent most of that day trying to figure out how I was going to get to Wal-Mart to get last minute things finished before the babies were born (snaps to all those bed rest mommas,you amaze me).

Now, I had a failed induction, what that means is the kids were born by c-section. When the doctor told us this and explained it all, I thought my sweet husband (who does not do blood, needles or hospitals ver well) was going to pass out before we ever left the hospital room. I remember looking over and seeing his eyes closed and head bowed. To this day he will not tell me what he was praying, only that his prayers were answered. When I heard Matthew's sweet cry at 8:27am, well it is a moment that still there are no words to describe, and then when I heard Gracie's cry at 8:28am, another overwhelming moment. We had been divinely favored.

Matthew is my first born and all boy. He is rough, tough and looks just like his handsome daddy. He loves the color blue, Thomas the train and loves to talk. He has a kind and loving heart, just don't ask him to share the ball (every boy has his limits). Matthew questions EVERYTHING and believes completely that he knows more than you. Also, his momma and daddy love him more that he can ever understand.
Gracie is the baby. She is all sassy girl. She is kind and compassionate and loves all animals, great and small. She spent 5 days in the NICU and I cried those 5 days fearing that should would have lasting effects from not being with us. She is a snuggler and hugger and I know the Lord did that because He love me so much. She cares other people's feelings. She loves all things pink and sparkly. Also, her momma and daddy love her more than she will ever know.

These two precious children make me strive to be a better person and showed me how to love unconditionally. My life is forever changed and I am a better person because of it. Happy Birthday Matthew and Gracie, I know God has special plans for you both.

5 comments:

  1. It's amazing how children change us. Especially two. With Cameron I really thought "how could I ever love another baby like I love him" and then God just multiplies it, doesn't he? Happy Birthday Matthew & Gracie- 5- wow. I want to put a brick on the top of mine to stop them from growing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Matthew and Gracie - Beautiful post Melissa!
    Sweet Blessings,
    DeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is so sweet it made me cry.

    Happy Birthday Matthew and Gracie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Matthew and Gracie!!
    I agree this is a beautiful post and it brought tears to my eyes! Very sweet!
    Have a Super Sunday!
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I'm way late to wish them happy birthday on the blog - good thing I got to do it in person! I love those two babies so much! I'm blessed to get to be their teacher two years in a row. What growth I've seen in both of them! You have two of the sweetest, silliest and sassiest kids and I can't get enough of them!

    ReplyDelete