Monday, February 16, 2009

Haircuts and Shopping


On my last post I said that it was my Angels birthday. Well, the celebration has ended and we have partied till we dropped. We had a GREAT time (although two parties in one day was A LOT)and ate cake till....well, we all felt really loved. Now a week had passed and on Saturday I looked at Matthew and decided he needed a haircut some kinda bad. So,I did what any Mom would do with a little boy who needs a haircut but can't sit still long enough to get it. I made his daddy do it and Gracie and I went shopping with my mom. Mark did protest but reluctantly agreed to take him. About an hour into shopping (with a very opinionated 5 year old and a Meme who thinks this so cute) my cell phone rings and Mark quickly said someone wants to talk to you:

Matthew (sobbing uncontrollably): Momma, I got my hair (sob!sob!)cut too short and I HATE IT! (sob!sob!)
Momma (chuckling): Matthew I bet it looks really handsome.
Matthew(sobbing really loud): I HATE IT!(sob!sob!) The lady cut it really short (sob!)and I want my Angels hat.(sob!sob!)

CLICK-phone hangs up.

I figured I needed to get home but Mark said they were fine and finish shopping. So that is what we did. Shopping with Gracie is another story all in itself. She is getting to that age where she wants to pick out her own clothes. She and her Momma do NOT see eye to eye on what is appropriate for a 5 year old girl. She wants sassy and wild and I want pretty and sweet. Anyway, back on track-when we got home and I saw Matthew, the new haircut was short and did take some getting used to but it made him look very grown up. After a LOT of reassuring that he looked very handsome, I got the smile that I love.

Fast forward to today, we were jumping on the trampoline and I commented on my bald boy. He stopped jumping and looked (very seriously) at me and said," Momma, you said I was the most handsome boy you had ever seen." That took a good bit of backtracking. To be honest, it never really occurred to me that Matthew was so sensitive about his hair. I really thought he didn't or wouldn't care either way. Boy, was I wrong. Lesson learned.

7 comments:

  1. I have convinced Matthew of the best benefit of short hair: less time combing hair in the mornings and more time for cartoons. So all is not lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks Great. ready for baseball. Reminds me of him when he was little NO HAIR!!! The funniest comment about the hair was Gracie when she saw it and said Oh No Two Coach Windhams

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless his bones! I think he looks very handsome, and told him so! I tried to convince him that it was just right for baseball... We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, he could want a Marine haircut!!haha I think it is a precious baseball haircut that any young man would be proud of. I'm sure he'll come around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is too funny! He does look very handsome and grown up!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading your stories! I think he is very handsome with his new hair cut!
    Can't wait to hear more about the shopping adventure with Gracie!
    Sweet Blessings,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since Mark is a pro at getting boys to get a haircut, can I sign him up to take Joshua?

    ReplyDelete